The Léglise family from Libourne founded what is now Château L'Evangile. They were actively involved, around the middle of the 18th century, in building the Pomerol vineyard. L'Evangile appeared in the 1741 land registry under the name of Fazilleau.
At the turn of the 19th Century, the estate already had much of its current configuration, stretching over some 13 hectares, when it was sold to a lawyer named Isambert. He renamed the estate "L'Evangile". In 1862, L'Evangile was purchased by Paul Chaperon, whose descendants, the Ducasse family, remained the property's owners until 1990. Paul Chaperon went on making the estate becoming famous, and constructed the L'Evangile in the style of the Second Empire. In the second edition of Cocks Féret in 1868, L'Evangile is registered and is considered as a "Premier Cru du Haut-Pomerol".
IN 1990, DOMAINES BARONS DE ROTHSCHILD (LAFITE) acquired L'Evangile from the Ducasse family. DBR was interested in bringing sustained care to the operation. DBR's initial influence included a more refined selection of the fine wines, and the creation of Blason de L'Evangile as a second wine. Efforts also included enhancing the vines' health with a restoration and renewal plan partially completed until 1998. The complete renovation of the vat room and the cellar which was finished in 2004 allowed the property to complete its new configuration.
A remarkable decade of vintages from 1995 to 2005 crwoned the work with success. Among these, 1995, 1996, 200 and an exceptional 2005 stand out !